Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stinging nettle


I went out this afternoon after sleeping all morning recovering from work. It had been raining off and on all morning, which makes it nice in the spring. Gentle rain, overcast, and not too cold. I headed over to Compton Park to look for the stnad of stinging nettle that I had harvested from sometime in April. I then proceeded to find some that was easier to get into and out of, so I went there. This nettle will be bound and hund in the office to dry for tea. It is supposed to be really good for arthritis. I'm pretty excited about this, because since I have so many diffrent herbs around me in town, I don't have to bug our friends from Smithfield to bring quite so much. I have found a source of pine, plenty of creeping charlie, plenty of raspberry leaves....hoping for raspberries as well, at another park, there is some multiflora rose, from which we will harvest rosehips this fall....crossing my fingers!

I still don't know bergamot or pennyroyal, which tastes wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you are able to forage for such bounty around you. I should have the Smithfield folk show me what some of that stuff looks like on my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. r u coming round end of july for the festivities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild bergamot smells like oregano, I think. It's easy to identify based upon it's smell. In times past, I've wondered why some of the hay I was putting the barn smelled like pizza. . .

    ReplyDelete