Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mulberries and Juneberries!

Tis the season in this neck of the woods to gather Mulberries and Juneberries! I have been diligently gathering, getting ready for the end of the season. I've frozen quite a few, and some will be canned. I attempted to make Jam with some, but didn't add enough pectin, so it's a syrupy mess!

I went out this morning to enjoy God in His creation, and it was truly wonderful! I ate some mulberries off trees on the way as well as a few juneberries! I have eaten them since I was a child living in Germany. I'm so glad that someone thought to bring them here. I'm looking forward to putting them into muffins and the like, maybe find a scone recipe for them! Sounds very yummy!

As far as herbal foraging, I haven't been doing much of that. I've got some Kale that I can't wait to fry up in a bit of bacon grease! My sugar snap peas are starting to get little pods on them. I expect to be able to bring in a firstfruits offering to church from them. Can't wait really. I'm expecting God to bless my efforts. The other half said that while I'm in TX, he would weed the garden. I'd like to find some grass clippings already bagged up before he can get to it. I can smother them out that way!

I have noticed that blackberries are coming along nicely. The blooms have all fallen off and now the berries are taking shape! I'm hoping they do so before I leave, I'd like to harvest some of those. The grapes have some time I do believe! Multiflora are looking wonderful and smell awesome. There should be no shortage of rosehips like there was last year! That was my own mistake, never again. I use them to make Iced tea with, so that the benefits are there in the tea all year, plus I use them during cold season! I will post pics of juneberries soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment